02 November 2010

Seemingly boring life forms doing amazing things

Wasp-killing fig trees: I already knew wasps were awesome, because they're social insects, duh.  But vengeful fig trees?  I never imagined the awesomeness.




Mating slugs: One of the grossest things in the world racks up some cool points with a surprisingly graceful XXX display.  Go banana slugs!



Mind controlling fungus: I've been fascinated by this phenomenon ever since my first visit to Los Angeles's Museum of Jurassic Technology, where they have a victimized ant on display.  Maybe if I introduce some of this into our apartment I could train it to lead the ants away from the kitchen?




A little something from each of my three favorite kingdoms.  What other seemingly boring life forms are secretly super awesome?

No comments: