01 November 2011

I know what you Googled to get here...



So for the past year, the number or visitors to my blog have climbed steadily.  Using Google Analytics, I can tell what people are Googling in order to get to my site, and I wanted to share that on the blog, because I think its pretty telling.  These are, in order of frequency, the top 24 search terms people have used to get to my site in the past month:


1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.


After this, there are a few people interested in making their own iPad 2 cases, some who even Google my name (those are my favorites, its usually like 3 people a month, sigh).  But the pattern doesn't stop at 24, almost every search term up to the 167th has something to do with "sexy scientists."  One person googled "sex+astrophysics," kind of curious about that one.

Note that people don't get there by Googling "disrupting stereotypes about women in science," they get here by Googling "sexy scientist" or "female mad scientist costume."  And only a few people per month get here by way of ants, or astronomy, or gardens.  I guess the fate of my blog has been sealed as another place people can go to for inspiration on how to perpetuate stereotypes through dress-up.  Ack!  I can only hope that once they get there, they read the post, not just look at the pictures, and maybe decide to wear pants this year.  I'm sorry, that sounded mean; I have no problem with people who don't wear pants on Halloween, I just want people to be metacognitive about the system in which they are complicit.  Is that too much to ask?

No comments: